A lot of times, expectant mothers get forgetful during their pregnancy. This forgetfulness is termed as momnesia or pregnancy brain. And it is much more common than people imagine, affecting around 50 to 80% of pregnant women.
Momnesia: Fact or Fiction?
A lot of women are apprehensive when they hear “pregnancy brain”, thinking that their brain gets altered physically leaving long-lasting effects. Rest assured, it’s your mental sharpness is impaired and not the brain morphology or functioning.
There is a lot of debate if such a thing exists. We say it does and so does scientific literature! A 2016 study, published in Nature backs our claim, showing how there is a reduction in grey matter in your brain and spinal cord during pregnancy, that makes you absent-minded.
Why do you get a pregnancy brain?
- Hormonal over-ride: There is a 15-40% increase in the hormones progesterone and estrogen. These alter the nerve cells of the brain. Oxytocin which causes your uterus to contract during birth and release milk after causes your brain circuits to go haywire.
- Increased responsibility: The expectations and pressure of being a new mother along with preparing yourself and your surroundings for your new child make you focus on a lot of different things from baby proofing your house to getting your check-ups done on time.
- Baby-Oh-Baby: From conception, till you can wrap your head around taking care of your tiny and helpless baby. All your brain can think of is, you guessed right- your baby! Hence it is hard to focus on other things.
What can you do about it? Momnesia tips for Mommies:
- Sleep and stay rested: People with lack of sleep normally get absent-minded, pregnancy is no less. Sleep at regular intervals and stay rested.
- Exercise: Exercise not only helps in keeping you physically fit but also helps you in keeping your brain sharp.
- Journal away: Writing down and journaling helps you keep track of your day-to-day activities.
- Get help: An extra set of hands to help you with daily activities is an asset. Trust us!
- Find a personal assistant in Savika: From recording your daily milestones to entering your vital statistics, you definitely have us to help you lessen the burden on tabulating the details of your pregnancy.