Pregnancy and motherhood is a pleasurable life event woman look forward to. But the thought of childbirth scares many!
As a new expecting mommy do you feel scared and nervous by the mere thought of going into labor? Well, you’re not alone! The thought of a natural birth shakes even the strongest woman.
As far as childbirth is concerned, the C-section is generally considered an easier option over a natural one, but the post-operative care and restrictions can be a put-off. This reason, along with a lot of other factors drive expectant mothers’ to choose to give birth au naturale.
So, what are the advantages of a normal delivery?
The advantages of a natural delivery are plenty. The main being:
- Can experience every nuance of a mother as there is no interference of anesthesia, hence making it new and exciting
- Can breastfeed instantly and provide the newborn with a stronger immune system
- Can escape various health risks associated with C-section
- Can go home sooner– as there’s less/negligible post-op care required.
- Can bond with the baby faster
So, what can you do to make your labor easy?
During the pregnancy period, you may feel as if life is moving faster all the time. On the flipside, while in the OT, you may feel as if time decelerating.
Hence, during labor, to make the whole birthing process less gruesome and more delightful, it’s worthy to know a few tips to make the hard work of having a baby handier. Based on gestational condition, some may have an easy and smooth labor, while some may be sweating it out during delivery.
Tips for easy labor include:
- Be active: Don’t lie on couch or bed throughout pregnancy as it tends to be a little uncomfortable. Pregnancy is a normal physiological process, not a disease.
- Regular Exercise: Brisk walk, squat exercises will push the baby’s head down and will strengthen pelvic floor muscles and will help a lot during labor.
- Prenatal education: Generally, first-time mommies are unaware of how it’s going to be. Nevertheless, once the labor starts, no surprise is a good surprise. Many childbirth courses are available to enroll for it as early as possible.
- Nutritious diet: A nutritious diet is not only good for the growing baby but will also support the muscles and gives stamina to the mother for normal delivery.
- Proper sleep: As sleep cures many health issues, an adequate and regular sleep is must for the mommy’s to be.
- Perineal massage: Massaging your perineum towards the end of your pregnancy not only promote normal labor but can also avoid the risk of a vaginal tear.
- Go to a doctor who believes in natural birth: Always convey your desire for a normal childbirth
- Recommended weight gain: Unnecessary weight gain during pregnancy may unnecessarily invite many systemic problems. So, be wise enough in sustaining your weight.
- Stress-free: Keep yourself stress-free and avoid negativity of any sort. As stress reduces the production of oxytocin ( the hormone which aids in the contraction of the uterus) which is essential during labor.
- Stay hydrated during delivery: During labor, your muscles will get easily fatigued if it gets dehydrated. To avoid that, make sure you sip water in between to keep it hydrated and active.
- Know what you eat: Certain food items like raspberry leaf, pineapple, green papaya, spicy food, and dates are said to induce labor naturally. So you may try consuming them near the end of the third trimester (after speaking to your doctor of course!)
And last but not the least – read good books, pray for blessings, have a pleasant disposition and follow the advice of the elderly women of your family. Remain your cheerful self and feel exceptional with the fact that you are going to bring a new life into this world! Congratulations in advance..