Congratulations! You are finally pregnant! There must be a lot of things that are running through your mind now. So, to make your life easy, we at Savika have included a checklist of all the things you need to be prepared for in the coming months. We have summarized them into:
- Pregnancy ready basics
- Mommy ready basics
- Baby ready basics
So, what are the pregnancy ready basics that you need to look out for?
Now that you have seen two pink lines confirming your pregnancy. We recommend you to see your doctor ASAP. Also, we advise you to be mindful of certain things that include:
- Be 100% positive: There are two scenario’s on how this plays out.
- You may have had a chemical pregnancy: If after a few days or weeks, your pregnancy positive test may turn negative, you may have experienced an early miscarriage.
- You are unsure of continuing the pregnancy: Well, getting pregnant could be something that not all women want. Some, due to whatever reasons choose a termination.
- Calculate your baby’s due date: You could record your last menstrual period (LMP) here at Savika and we will help you estimate your expected due date.
- Zero in on a hospital and doctor/gynaecologist: This is an important step as the coming 9 months, the hospital you decide and your doctor/gynaec will be your second home and family.
- Decide when to announce the pregnancy. Some women usually wait in announcing their pregnancy usually after the first trimester, as the chances of miscarriage is lower. Some tell it immediately after getting a positive test. Some wait and announce when their bounce is visible or when people ask. The choice is purely yours.
- Read a book/article or two: Tons of information is available on good pregnancy books available online or in bookstores. Ask for suggestions from your doctor. If articles/blogs/newsletters are your thing, then what better source than Savika (you are after all reading this).
So, what are the mommy ready basics that you need to look out for?
Now that you are sure about the pregnancy, the next step would be bracing yourself into accepting that you are a now a “mommy-to-be”. Along with that, you need to also:
- Get a proper medical check-up: Your health needs to be optimum. We advise you to meet your doctor and do as said to be pregnancy ready. Also, be informed with all the starting tests and check-ups (dates and specifics).
- Brace yourself: These 9 months are going to be a roller-coaster ride. It’s up to you to make the most out of it. Also, be informed about what to expect. You can speak to friends & family, health-care professionals or to us at Savika.
- Say NO to all the pregnancy no-no’s: This goes without saying. You need to adopt a healthy lifestyle and give up all your vices. The main being:
- Unhealthy eating
- Excessive caffeine
- Vigorous physical activity
- Troubleshooting early pregnancy symptoms: Early pregnancy symptoms varies in new mothers. So, tabulate and track your moods and symptoms (accessible in Savika). This helps you to be prepared and know your specific symptoms along with finding ways which work for you to troubleshoot them (also accessible at Savika).
- Embrace the fact that your body will change: Beauty is ingrained in most women’s minds as a prized possession. As much as we say inner beauty is more valued than outer beauty (which it should be always), there is no denying that outer beauty is what we strive to better. Pregnancy can make even the most confident women insecure in her own skin, so embrace the change. That way you don’t allow it to affect you. Pregnancy is beautiful. Trust us.
- Eat your veggies and vitamins: You should be well nourished and well hydrated – always!
- Journal it out: Go old school and journal your emotions and take “bump pictures” to showcase your journey. Make a scrapbook, the old-fashioned way (save them in Savika Memories).
- Keep a tab of your physical activity: Just because you are pregnant does not give you a reason to stay put. Stay physically active (tabulate your daily activity on Savika) and work out as per what your doctor allows you to do.
So, what are the baby ready basics that you need to look out for?
- Know your finances: A baby is a big responsibility. You need to be financially ready.
- Developmental milestones to look out for in your baby: Know what changes your baby is undergoing on a week-by-week basis (information readily available at Savika). That way, you are well informed during your doctor’s visits and you will also feel more bonded to your baby.
- Start deciding baby names: Be it a girl or a boy, if you have not decided on a name yet. Start now. Ask for suggestions if needed.
- Stay positive and stress-free: A happy mommy = a happy baby. So, stress less and stay happy more! Your baby will be less stressed and grow better.
- Plan your pregnancy: Photo-shoots, baby-showers, and everything in between. Also your baby’s room and baby proofing your house. All these are not immediate worries but needs to be thought about.
These were a few things to keep in mind. Also, your stay arrangements and work also play a role in navigating your pregnancy, so plan and accommodate changes as and when time passes. Enjoy this journey – happy pregnancy!