In your second trimester, you start coming to terms with your pregnancy. But there are things you have to pay attention to:
- You’ll be gaining weight because the baby is growing now. But let’s keep a track of it and try and not go above the weight recommended by the doctor. Have a diet that is rich in fiber(cutting out junk, that goes without saying!)and drink a lot of water regularly.
- Also, include regular exercise, be it simple walk or prenatal yoga classes. Until otherwise advised by your doctor, indulge in it regularly.
- You shall also notice a certain amount of swelling around fingers and legs. Try not to be on your feet all the time. Give them some rest, prop them up on a pillow. If you wear rings, now is the time to remove them before they get stuck.
- Backache- As your baby bump is increasing so is your backache. Try and stretch your back and also sleep on the side with a pillow between your knees or supporting your back.
- Itch skin and stretch marks, yes they come but keep your skin moisturized, that should help.
- Increased urination- Your growing baby is putting pressure on the urinary bladder making you pee more. I know I asked you to drink water regularly but limit it close to your bedtime.
- Also, there are chances of whitish discharge, wear panty liners, if you are comfortable. If it increases or the color changes, consult your doctor soon.
- Braxton Hicks contractions– pain in the abdomen, also known as false labor due to contraction of your uterine muscle. Don’t worry, just know that these won’t be regular and the intensity of pain won’t increase as opposed to in labor.
Contact your doctor immediately if you notice:
- Severe abdominal pain or cramping
- Severe dizziness
- Rapid weight gain (more than 3kg per month) or too little weight gain (less than 4.5 kg at 20 weeks into the pregnancy)
Pregnancy has its own share of ups and downs. So, enjoy the pampering of people around you and remind yourselves, you are almost there!