There is no denying that water birthing has been gaining vogue in the 21st century! And this birthing practice is slowly catching up as a natural birthing method even in the eastern countries. The logic behind water birthing is that; as the baby has been growing inside the amniotic sac, it will be easier for it to adjust to the surroundings when born in water.
Water birth is the process where a pregnant lady gives birth in a tub of warm water. You can choose to either
a) labor in the water and get out for delivery (or)
b) labor and delivery both in water.
There is no or little usage of painkillers though this needs to be done under the supervision of a qualified medical care provider.
For the mother
- Since the water provides a greater sense of privacy, it can reduce inhibitions, anxiety, and fears
- Aids easy movement and positioning, and helps to focus better
- Warm water eases nerves, helps relax, increases buoyancy
- Buoyancy helps improve contractions and blood circulation
- More Oxygen for the baby, less pain for the mother
- Lesser chances of a vaginal tear
For the baby
- Easy adaptation to the surrounding
- Increases sense of security as the mother is more relaxed
Please consider avoiding Water birth under these circumstances